Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Reading Charts

We have participated in several reading contests for the library and school in the past, and we will certainly join the next reading contest that the library sponsors.
I really want the boys to get interested in extra reading. I personally have learned so much just from reading!
I assign the boys reading during the day , but I would just love to see them get really excited about it.
They don't dislike reading, and they usually look at a lot of picture books on Sunday afternoons. Yet they haven't become extremely interested in just picking up books and reading for very long.
I felt a glimmer of hope the other morning when I walked into their room and Justin was laying on his bed reading a book .
He told me that he had stayed awake reading by the light of the moon(of course I had to make sure he knew that it's not good to read without good lighting) ,and when he woke up he had started back into the book. The book was a fictional chapter book about tornadoes. He loved it.

My plan is that they get a sticker for every book (or percentage of bigger books) that they read, and they get to place a sticker on printed copies of the chart below. When they fill it up, they get a surprise. I printed one for Ryan too for the books that I read to him.

I told Michael I would like to find a treasure chest to fill with little incentives. Bribing can be a good thing sometimes ;-)
*** Update: 9/25/08 I was able to find a cardboard treasure chest at THE DOLLAR STORE! I filled it with dollar items like puzzles, rubix cube, tools (Justin loves tools), a hat, art supplies, etc. They have been reading like crazy!!!!***

1 comment:

Erin said...

I had a teacher who had a treasure chest in her classroom and when we reached some kind of goal we got to pick something out of it. It had little things like stickers or toys and pencils and stuff...you could go to the dollar store and find all kinds of junk that the boys would think is just the best thing ever haha....I know I did when I was their age.