Friday, September 26, 2008

A Charlotte Mason education



I am currently reading a book by Catherine Levinson entitled A Charlotte Mason education. I have always been (well since I decided to home-school) interested in checking out the other styles that parents' use to home-school. Traditional schooling is based on a classroom full of kids, and is probably the best way to teach a classroom full.However with home-school, there are so many options out there. There are so many ways to learn, and I have every intention of researching the different styles to see if I can glean as many helpful ideas as I can.


Her style advocates a generous education that does not "kill" a love for learning.

"We are leading them to self education. This is done through direct contact with the best books..."

"We rely heavily on narration instead of comprehension questions or workbooks to verify knowledge"
Narration is basically an oral report. This is usually done with the younger children and as they improve orally, they are transitioned to compositions. Narration is a great way to prepare children for composition writing!

Nature walks and every day spent out-doors is highly suggested (I highly agree). Sketchbooks and quality art pencils are highly recommended for sketching nature during the nature walks.

Childhood is to be filled with beautiful memories.
Narration is a great way to get a child prepared for writing good compositions.

Although I don't consider myself ready or willing to chuck all of the textbooks we currently use or becoming a full-fledged "Charlotte Mason educator" right here and right now, I must say that I have gleaned a lot of helpful ideas.

No comments: