Monday, March 2, 2009

Science Project: The Human Eye

We are studying the human eye for science. I was looking for a good picture to use as a model from which to pattern our own model.


I found a great cornstarch clay recipe here. It worked beautifully!
Jonathan stirring and heating the salt/water mixture Ryan mixing the cornstarch and water
Justin molding the dough
I didn't get pictures of everyone mixing the food coloring in, but I would have gotten it all over the camera!
I used a black magic marker to outline the iris and make the pupil.



Jonathan had cornstarch all over his face!

I used a wooden kabob skewer to keep it in place
Here is the optic nerve trailing behind


I realize it is not an extremely complex model, but trying to place a clear cornea over the outside of the iris seems a little difficult as well as filling the eyeball full of liquid.
I did have an idea for the cornea though... I thought of those plastic bubbles you get in a gumball machine.
Below are the Youtube documentaries we watched:







3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, my goodness! That is amazing! I can't believe you did that! Bet you learned a lot, too.

southernsweetie99 said...

Good job boys! That is one creepy looking eyeball! :)

Erin said...

Wow that looks great! Glad you found something to make it w/, that made it look so real!