Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tools verses Magic Wands

Tools are very useful. If used the right way, they can fix or create things. A carpenter uses tools to build, and a plumber uses tools to fix, and a potter uses his hands (which are tools) to mold.



A magic wand performs miracles. Well... a proverbial magic wand. They really do not exist.



Home education is a tool. I am using a very beneficial tool to educate my children. I would be really naive if I thought that it was a magic wand, a fix-all tool to turn out perfect, angelic children.



I have to laugh at myself because a lot of times, I will blog about something we just learned and then my children will remind me of this very thing. For example right after I blogged about how we are teaching our children about sibling relationships, my children got into a big fuss. Nothing for me to worry about, just something we are constantly working on.



What I am getting at is that I believe education itself is a tool.... not a magic wand. I can teach until I am blue in the face, but unless it reaches their hearts... they will not conform.



Last week they learned Proverbs 1:7



"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but fools despise wisdom and instruction". May they fear the Lord and willingly receive wisdom and instruction.



May they become wise and moldable!

3 comments:

Erin said...

GREAT blog!

Erin said...

For some reason it won't let me comment on the post about siblings, so I'll just comment on this one. I love this post....the picture of you and Josh when you were little is ADORABLE! Thankfully all 3 of us get along great. I feel really blessed to have you as a sister. You are the best friend I could have ever asked for. Josh is the best brother I could have asked for...despite him torturing me the way he did when I was little... haha. I think it's so important to be close with your siblings because "friends" in my life have come and gone, but you and Josh will always be there. So, I think teaching the boys to be friends great.

Kim M. said...

Erin, that is so sweet. I feel the same way about you!!! Some of our conversations just can't be beat. I love you!