Monday, January 12, 2009

Manners, George Washington's way




I have been trying to decide the best way to teach the boys some old- fashioned manners. This has been long in coming, but I really wasn't sure about how to go about it (besides nagging them which is very unfruitful to do to any male... young or old).




Last week I revisited George Washington's rules of civility (which we occasionally use for copy-work), and started teaching them. Today we actually practiced some of them which was very fun for the boys.




I really don't know when we will see the fruits of them, and I hope they will remember and practice them on their own.




What is the purpose of good manners? Respecting others! Is that Biblical? I'd say so...




Philippians 2:3-4 (King James Version)
3Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
4Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.



No comments: