Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Volcanoes

We are studying volcanoes.  You just can't study volcanoes and not make one.  I have been sick this week, so it took us three days to make this.  I wish I'd had enough corn starch and salt to do a cornstarch model, but I didn't feel well enough to go out and get more.  So we went with flour this time (not my favorite).  The corn starch hardens faster and firmer, and it lasts a long time.





We molded the volcano around the coke bottle, and then took the coke bottle out through the hole we cut out of the bottom of the box.  We poured the vinegar into the bottle and then put it back inside the volcano.  I like this set up (I found the idea on-line), because you can use the flat part to see "inside" the volcano.
We mixed vinegar,baking soda, dishwashing liquid and red & blue food coloring.  The lava didn't stay colored very long, but they still enjoyed the eruption.

No comments: