Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Update

I haven't posted very much lately because we have been so busy around here. But as a courtesy to our family member readers and because this blog is part of my records, I need to give a little update.

We have continued with year-round schooling because of its convenience and benefits.

We are still using Proverbs for Parenting for Scripture memory, Arthur Maxwell's The Bible Story, and ABeka workbooks.


As a suplement to language arts, earlier today I downloaded our very own copy of the McGuffey Eclectic Spelling book (1879!). I had bought a copy of Spelling Power last year when we started out (at the suggestion of a well-meaning friend), but I just couldn't make myself be happy with it. I have it waiting on the shelf and I intend to list it on Ebay.

Google-books makes many of the old educational material available today free online! I am VERY impressed with the content and quality of the educational material from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I intend to use quite a bit of those books as teaching tools. I especially like the McGuffey readers and hope to get hard back readers eventually. For now though, I am able to print and use what I want from the Google site until I am able to get copies of them. We are continuing to use the ABeka readers as well.

We are still going through our bee unit study, and enjoying all the neat things we have learned so far. I added those pictures in the above post.

I am currently reading The Chimney Sweep's Ransom by Dave & Neta Jackson to the boys. This series, called "Trailblazer Books", introduces young readers to Christian heroes of the past. The Chimney Sweep's Ransom introduces John Wesley. The last one we read introduced George Mueller. The boys and I have enjoyed them, and Justin in particular is never satisfied with just one chapter.

No comments: