Thursday, May 7, 2009

The American Robin: a Nature Lesson (we could not ignore!)

Some of the best lessons are spontaneous...........






Jonathan is such a mess. He is always trying to chase birds and I don't usually think much about it because he isn't usually successful. Well, today when we went outside for "porch school" he caught a baby bird! I snapped pictures quickly so we could let that poor baby go. Somehow Justin didn't get in it but he was there trying to pet it. Those eager hands on the last picture are Ryan's. He wanted to hold it!!! :-)

I couldn't figure out what type of bird it was because of the color and spots. After looking up "Indiana back yard birds" in my search engine, we found that it was a baby robin. (And yes, the parents were nearby flying around so I wondered if it was a robin. I wasn't sure because the markings and colors were so much different than the parents.)



This website has a picture that looks almost exactly like our baby bird.

http://www.slivoski.com/birding/birds/robin.htm

This video showed robins singing, foraging, and building their nests. The boys instantly recognized the robin's song.




A mini documentary:

2 comments:

Mary said...

That was neat, Kim! You are doing such a good job with your children. I am proud of you!

Joel is out catching carp on the road. The water has gone down, and now there are all these huge carp in the ditches. Joel's dad took a few minutes off from his sermon preparation to go with him.

I said, "I'm not cleaning them or eathing them!" I remembered about your carp recipe. Joel said he doesn't care. He's cleaning and eating one of them or at least mounting it!

Kim M. said...

Ha! That's hilarious Mary!!!
Sounds like Joel is having a blast. I am sure he will have fun doing it whether they taste nasty or not. Who knows, he may find a really yummy way of fixing them... ya just never know. You should get some pictures of it!!! I would love to see his carp.