Monday, December 1, 2008

Learning Through "Living Books"

According to Charlotte Mason, living books are usually written by one person who has a passion for the subject and writes in conversational or narrative style. The books pull you into the subject and involve your emotions, so it’s easy to remember the events and facts. Living books make the subject “come alive.” They can be contrasted to dry writing, like what is found in most encyclopedias or textbooks, which basically lists informational facts in summary form.

I am not opposed at all to textbooks because facts are important. But, on the other hand I PREFER living books (don't we all?). They are much, MUCH more interesting. And you can learn so much from them! So, for our family, we will read both living books and textbooks.

We are currently reading Mary of Plymouth :A Story of the Pilgrim Settlement by James Otis (written in 1910!).Something sad that I think has happened over the course of time is the "dumbing down" of children's books. It is just assumed that a child will not understand a book unless it is written in the most simple of terms. That is not true! As I read this book, I ask the boys "what does that mean?". Most of the time they do, in fact, understand. I think the main reason they are able to discern vocabulary is because of the way it is used in the context of the sentence. I believe this is a great way to learn new vocabulary words (or old vocabulary words for that matter)!
If they do not understand, it is very easy to explain the meanings to them. However, it is not necessary most of the time.

Some of the vocabulary words from today:

quill
shallop
savage
oars

I think also that it goes the same way for reading the Bible. If I do not read to them straight from the Bible, how will they understand Biblical terminology as they grow and mature? I definitely do not want them to search out the newest versions available that have been watered down to entertain the reader. Of course I read Bible stories to them but I think reading straight from the Bible is necessary!

No comments: